12. 10. 2015

Ok, let’s not bother with any explanations right now and just jump right back in to business as usual.

I get asked a lot of makeup questions on Twitter and other places and while I really enjoy going on about different products at length, there are a couple of questions I get asked fairly often and I thought I’d try to tackle some of them here so the response is less disjointed than the 140 character limit allows. One question I get a lot is about LORAC palettes vs Urban Decay’s Naked palettes. I don’t own all of either line, but I think I own enough of each to break it down a bit for those on the fence.

You should first know that my first suggestion is to buy both. Let’s just establish now that my prime advice is always to buy everything. Realizing that some people consider that impractical, let’s move on to advice part two.

Another thing to note is that I’m not going to go into which LORAC Pro palette or which Urban Decay Naked palette you may way. Just the differences between the two brands.

Let’s start with LORAC. I own the LORAC Pro 1, the LORAC Pro 2, and the LORAC Mega Pro 2.

LORACpropalettes

Each Pro palette has 16 shades: 8 matte and 8 shimmer. Both Pro 1 and Pro 2 are permanent to LORAC’s collection. The Mega Pro 2 has 32 shades: 16 matte and 16 shimmer. The Mega Pro 2 is limited edition and is available now at Ulta. There’s also a Mega Pro 1, but it was limited edition as well and sold out very quickly.

LORACProopen

I didn’t clean these up before I took the pictures because this is real life. Also, if I go down the road of keeping my palettes clean, no one will ever see or hear from me again.

As you can see, all the palettes – the Mega Pro 2 especially, of course – have a really wide array of colors. They all have the same shadow formula, as well. The LORAC formula is very soft and will kick up a lot of dust, even if you just tap your brush into the pan. With cheaper eye shadows, that’s usually a sign of poor quality and a difficult to work with shade, but that’s not the case here. The color payoff is very good on most shades, though there are a few that just don’t look as vibrant on the eye as they do in the pan.

Pros of the LORAC Pro palettes

Cons of the LORAC Pro palettes

Now, Urban Decay’s Naked palettes. Again, I don’t have all of these. I have Naked 1, Naked 2, and I did own Naked 3, but the shades didn’t work for me so I sold it.

UDNakedpalettes

Again, if these palettes look beat, it’s because they are. I’ve had Naked 1 longer than Naked 2, but both are in pretty consistent rotation.

UDNakedopen

Urban decay does have several other palette “lines,” like the Vice palettes and other special edition palettes, but I’m just going to talk about the Naked palettes here. All of them – 1, 2, 3 and the two Naked Basics palettes – are part of the permanent collection. Unlike the LORAC palettes, which have a variety of shades in each, each Naked palette has it’s own “feel” and the shades all go together.

Pros of the Urban Decay Naked Palettes

Cons of the Urban Decay Naked Palettes

Anyway, that’s just a quick rundown of both brands. As for what I personally think, I will tell you that I end up pushing the LORAC a lot when people ask me which to choose. For those less experienced with makeup, the soft formula makes it easy to do pretty washes of color, the wide variety of shades gives a lot to play around with, and the price isn’t a small factor.

However, I actually use my Naked palettes all. the. time. Yes, they’re more shimmery. Yes, not all of it is appropriate for every day. But it’s really easy to pull together a quick look without thought. The shadows are consistent and blend together well. Naked 1, and more and more lately, Naked 2, are my go to “I don’t have time to mess around, gotta get out of the house” shadow palettes. They’re easy to use if you’re not so great at coming up with a “look,” and on top of that, the Naked palettes are so popular that there are tons of tutorials out there for all of them. They may look more limiting than the wide shadow variety in the LORAC palettes, but you can do a ton with them.

In the end, of course, it comes down to your personal preferences about how you like shadows to perform and what kinds of shades you like. My personal preference is to buy them all. Just saying.

14 responses to “LORAC Pro vs Urban Decay Naked”

1. Swistle says:

I think this site is very pretty.

I have been noticing that shimmers no longer work for me. I find it discouraging.

2. Erica says:

The original Naked palette was the only eyeshadow I owned for about three years, and I have specifically been trying to hit pan on a couple of shades for the past six months or so, and I’m convinced that my model came without pans at the bottom. As I told Regan, I think those shadows are just a portal to an alternate universe, which is made entirely of eyeshadow. So, people can throw that in their own personal pro/con piles if they want.

• korio says:

I have had my naked 1 for I think four years now? Something like that? And the SAME THING IS HAPPENING. Big dips in some colors but no pan. Is it even there? I’m liking your theory.

3. Bethany West says:

Do you happen to know how these are for sensitive eyes/skin? I watch you guys discuss them on twitter but I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on something so expensive that may just make my eyes a bloodshot, watery mess.

• korio says:

So, I don’t have sensitive eyes so I don’t feel especially qualified to answer this question, BUT I haven’t heard a lot about negative reactions to these shadows. However, both brands have talc in a lot of their shadows, which CAN be a problem for some people. Also, I know some people get irritated with shades that have red pigments in them, like carmine or something like that, which can be in a bunch of red tones, like pinks and purples and maybe some browns, too.

4. Erin says:

I hope you don’t mind that I followed you over here to your new space. Hopefully you’ll let me stay though, because I’m so excited to see you writing your makeup suggestions in blog style! I found Robyn at the Brightest Bulb in the Box from you, and her absence from blogging has left a void. I watch youtubers but is it me or are they starting to go collectively crazy with all the infighting?
    As for the makeup itself, I own Lorac Pro 1 and Naked 1. I agree that all people should own both, but I think that I personally get better color payoff from the Naked 1 and use that one more regularly (except I have to avoid Sidecar unless I want to be covered in sparkle all day).

• korio says:

I miss Brightest Bulb in the Box, too! She had such a good angle on her reviews and stuff, I haven’t found anything that quite fills the hole.

As for YouTubers… sigh. I watch a lot of tutorials, but that’s all I’m interested in, usually. Reviews and tutorials. I don’t follow anyone’s vlog channel and I don’t really watch “update” videos, because it’s just a whole… thing, you know? I just don’t want to get into it. I’ve seen a bit of stuff happening lately, and I understand that views and subs are money and playing dirty is how to get all of that, but just not how I want to spend my time.

I do agree about color payoff being a little better with the Naked palettes, but I think the Lorac shadows are pretty buildable IF you have the patience for it, which can be a definite drawback for some people.

• Erin says:

The biggest mystery to me on youtube are the “Empties” videos. Why do I need to know that someone used up a tube of toothpaste? But people love them. I guess because the person liked the product enough to use it all? But still. I’m always distracted by the fact that someone is showing me their trash.
        Agree with what you said about Lorac. It’s a tough choice. Actually, my favorite changes from day to day depending on my mood. Which is why people need both. My advice would be: purchase one. Become obsessed with eye shadow palettes. Purchase the other.

5. Micki says:

What do you think of the Tarte palettes? They have a new set of 3 with blushes for holiday 2015.

• korio says:

Ok, so, I love Tarte blushes. I think they’re great, the pigmentation is great (depending on the shade), and the shades are varied and some are quite unique. Also, I’ve heard that the Tartelette palette, specifically – the one that is all mattes – has very good shadows and some people seem to really like it. HowEVer, I’ve had a few Tarte holiday sets that included eye shadows and I was just not impressed with the formula. I found it dry and the brightest shades were surprisingly unpigmented. I haven’t tried the Tartelette myself, so I don’t know if it’s true of THAT palette. Also, sometimes holiday season sets are just not on the quality level of permanent collection items. I think the Tarte holiday blush sets are always a good buy, whether it’s the singles at Ulta or the blush palette at Sephora, buuuutttt… I personally don’t have a lot of faith in their eye shadows.

• Micki says:

Thanks! I was considering the one with blushes and shadows but they also have one that’s just blushes. Maybe I’ll get it instead. Love the new site!

• Bree says:

I have 2 Tarte pallets and the eyeshadows are not very pigmented in either. I have Rain Forest After Dark and Showstopper. In my opinion the shadows are not very pigmented but the blush, highlighter and bronzer are amazing. I got the holiday set of blushes from Ulta last year and they are amazing, i haven’t made a dent in the product and I use them pretty much daily. Long story short – i recommend EVERYTHING but eyeshadows.

6. Bree says:

Ohhh loving this!! I’ve taken a lot of your advise on Twitter when buying makeup! Random note… I don’t have an issue with UD glitter fall out, I use the Too Faced Shadow Insurance base every time i use shadow – not sure if that’s a reason but it works for me! Loving the new blog 🙂